Pages

Saturday 20 February 2010

Aurigny

I use Stansted airport (STN) very often and I have never found it to be particularly interesting for planespotting, given the dominance of Easyjet and Ryanair with their homogeneous fleets, however, this time as a bit different, maybe because I was flying around midday instead of the usual peak hours, there were some interesting sights, like this Aurigny Air Services ATR-72. I felt some curiosity about this airline so I did some research.



Aurigny operates out of the Channel Island of Guernsey and ts network covers the Channel Islands as well as some airports in mainland Britain and France. This ATR-72 is one of the three the airline currently has, they entered service in 2009. As a curosity, Aurigny Air Services is the longest standing operator of Britten Norman Trislander aircraft. I have to admit I had never heard of this aircraft type, I found its engine configuration remarkable, to say the least.


Foto: Britten Norman Trislander, by Wikipedia

Another curious fact of this airline is that, according to Wikipedia, the name Aurigny comes from the local French/Auregnais name for Alderney, one of the lesser Channel Islands, a language that was made extinct by the evacuation of islanders during the occupation of the Channel Islands in World War II.

0 comments:

Post a Comment